Brett Favre may be the only grandfather in the NFL, but the distinction of oldest player in the league belongs to John Carney, a kicker for the New Orleans Saints, who will turn 46 years old on April 20.
There are, however, other NFLers keeping Carney company in the over-40 club. As of the 2009 season, there are seven players (including Carney) over the age of 40.
For these players, age really is just a number:
- Jeff Feagles: A punter for the New York Giants, Feagles is currently 44 years old. Feagles was an unrestricted free agent after the 2009 season, but was recently re-signed to the Giants. The 22-year NFL veteran has never missed a game in his career, holding a streak of 352 consecutive games played, according to NFL.com.
- Matt Stover: A kicker for the Indianapolis Colts, Stover is currently 42 years old. Stover was signed by the Colts in October 2009 as a replacement for the injured Adam Vinatieri. He is currently a free agent.
- Junior Seau: A linebacker for the New England Patriots, Seau is currently 41 years old. This defensive star came close to winning a Super Bowl Championship in 2007 before the Patriots were upset by the New York Giants. Seau is a nine-time All-Pro and 12-time Pro Bowl selection.
- Matt Turk: A punter for the Houston Texans, Turk is currently 41 years old. This three-time Pro Bowl selection has played for the Los Angeles Rams, Washington Redskins, Miami Dolphins, New York Jets and St. Louis Rams.
- Brett Favre: A quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings, Favre is 40 years old. This proud grandfather has yet to announce whether he will return to the Vikings for a 20th season in the NFL. This star quarterback holds many NFL records, including: most career touchdown passes, most career passing yards and most career victories as a starting quarterback.
- John Kasay: A kicker for the Carolina Panthers, Kasay is 40 years old. The Panthers placekicker hit his 400th field goal in a game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Dec. 6, 2009. Kasay is only the seventh player in NFL history to achieve that honor.
The oldest player to have ever played in the NFL is still George Blanda, who was 48 years old when he retired. This 82-year-old hall-of-famer played for the Chicago Bears, Baltimore Colts, Houston Oilers and Oakland Raiders.
These players are further proof that sometimes in the world of sports, you only need to be young at heart.