US Temperature Records Heating Up
Recent months have brought unusual weather to much of the continental U.S. Here's a look at the most notable records, or near misses, as of June 2012.
· July 2011 through June 2012 – warmest 12-month period on record – national temperature was 52.9 degrees Fahrenheit (11.4 degrees Celsius), which was 4.5 degrees F (2.5 degrees C) above average
· January 2012 through June 2012 – warmest first half a year on record
· 173 all-time record highs set or tied
· 14th warmest June for the nation (1933 was the warmest June on record)
· Colorado had its warmest June on record, with a statewide temperature 6.4 degrees F (3.6 degrees C) above average
· 10th driest June on record nationwide
· 56 percent of the nation in a drought (as of July 3)
· 11 states had rain totals among their 10 driest for June
· Wyoming – Driest June on record with total precipitation was 1.27 inches (3.2 centimeters) below average.
· Florida – Wettest June on record (Tropical Storm Debby contributed to a statewide precipitation 6.17 inches (15.7 centimeters) above average.
· Maine, Oregon and Washington had top 10 wet Junes
· 1.3 million acres (526,000 hectares) of land burned by wildfire – second highest June total
MORE FROM LiveScience.com