Fewer teens are getting plastic surgery today than they were a year, five years and even 10 years ago, according to a new report.
In 2010, there were 125,397 plastic surgery procedures performed on people 18 and younger, making up 1.3 percent of the total plastic surgery procedures performed in the United States. That's down from 2 percent of the total in 2009, 1.5 percent of the total five years ago and 3.5 percent of the total 10 years ago.
Teen plastic surgery rates don't mirror that of adults, though. Plastic surgery for adults increased by nearly 9 percent in 2010 compared with 2009 rates, according to a report released earlier this month by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. The bump in the number of adult plastic surgeries in 2010 was attributed to an easing recession, that report said.
Among the findings of the new report:
- The most common surgical procedure among teens in 2010 was cosmetic ear surgery, according to the report. Ear surgery is often recommended for children as they near total ear development at age 5 or 6. Correction of the ears before the child enters school helps eliminate potential psychological trauma from the teasing of classmates , the report said.
- Nose reshaping, or rhinoplasty, was the most requested plastic surgical procedure by teens in 2010. It can be performed when the nose has completed 90 percent of its growth, which can occur as early as age 13 or 14 in girls and 15 or 16 in boys, according to the report.
- Breast reduction and correction of breast asymmetry were other common procedures in the last year. Breast reduction, which is done only when the breasts have reached full development, is performed on girls with overly large breasts that may cause back and shoulder pain and restrict physical activity, the report said. Correction of breast asymmetry is done when one breast's size or shape differs from the other, the report said.
- Boys also underwent breast surgery in 2010 -- for some teenage boys, excessive breast development (gynecomastia) can become a significant psychosocial problem, so excess tissue can be removed to achieve a more masculine body contour, the report said.
- The number of lipoplasty procedures performed on those 18 and younger has decreased over the last 10 years, from 2,504 in 1997 to 1,798 in 2010. Lipoplasty involves using sound waves to liquefy fat below the skin that is then suctioned out.
The report was released this week by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
Pass it on: Fewer teens went under the knife for plastic surgery in 2010 than they did in 2009.
- 5 Reasons Being a Woman is Good For Your Health
- Myth or Truth: 7 Wonders of Cultural Health
- 7 Weirdest Medical Conditions
Follow MyHealthNewsDaily on Twitter @MyHealth_MHND.