Skip to main content

Gallery: Dreamy Images Reveal Beauty in Physics

Magnetic Fluid

Ferrofluid magnetized with temperature gradient.

(Image credit: Aleksandra A. Bozhko, Aleksander S. Sidorov, Gennady F. Putin (Perm State National Research University, Perm, Russia) and Sergey A. Suslov (Swinburne University of Technology, Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia))

A magnetic fluid is called a ferrofluid. Here, magnetic fields and temperature conspire to disrupt the flow of a ferrofluid, creating linear patterns. [Read full story]