Archaeologists excavated a site at New York's City Hall in 2010, unearthing dozens of artifacts, some of them more than 200 years old. The objects are destined for a brand new archaeological repository set up by the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission in the spring of 2014. Shown here is a utilitarian jug, akin to modern Tupperware, found at the site.
City Hall George Washington
A fragment of brown, printed pearlware, a type of ceramic ware, featuring George Washington on horseback (manufactured from 1790 to 1840), was found on the grounds of City Hall.
This vaginal syringe was unearthed at New York's City Hall. Its moving parts are separated in this picture.
An almshouse was once located on City Hall's current site. It was in use from 1735 to 1797 and had two primary missions: to care for people unable to care for themselves and to teach "industry" to "disorderly persons, parents of bastard children, beggars, servants running away or otherwise misbehaving themselves, trespassers, rogues and vagabonds," according to city officials. One of kind of "industry" taught at the almshouse was button making.
During the Revolutionary War, the British were barracked at present-day City Hall Park in Lower Manhattan. This bayonet dates back to that period.
This English smoking pipe, which seems to be decorated with an aboriginal person and a heraldic shield, was likely manufactured sometimes between 1805 and 1840.