Rollerblade USA Recalls Inline Skates
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with Rollerblade USA, of West Lebanon, N.H., announced a voluntary recall of about 29,000 pairs of Spark, Spitfire Inline Skates today.
Hazard: The frame mounting bolts and wheel axle bolts can be loose on new skates. Loose wheels or frames on the skates can cause the rider to fall, posing a risk of injury.
Incidents/Injuries: Rollerblade USA has received 31 reports of loose bolts, including one report of a fall resulting in minor injuries that required medical attention.
Description: This recall involves the following models of inline skates purchased since September 2009.
- Spark Pro, Men's (SKU# 00792200816), Black
- Spark Pro, Women's (SKU# 007923007E2), Anthracite (Grey)
- Spark 80, Men's (SKU# 00702800956), Black
- Spark 80, Women's (SKU# 007029009A6), Anthracite (Grey)
- Spitfire, Boy's (SKU# 00705500741), Black
- Spitfire, Girl's (SKU# 007056007Y8), Silver
- Spitfire S, Boy's (SKU# 00705700956), Black
- Spitfire S, Girl's (SKU# 007058009A7), Anthracite (Grey)
- Spitfire LX, (SKU# 00705000955), Silver
Sold at: Sporting goods stores nationwide and on the Internet from September 2009 through July 2010 for between $80 and $160.
Manufactured in: Thailand, Vietnam and China
Remedy: Consumers should immediately inspect all wheel-axle and frame-mounting bolts to ensure that they are properly tightened. Rollerblade USA recommends regular inspection and tightening of bolts. After wheel-axle and frame mounting bolts are inspected and tightened if needed, products are acceptable for sale & use. Video instructions on bolt tightening and maintenance are available at www.rollerblade.com
Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Rollerblade USA at (800) 232-7655 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday through Friday or visit the firm's website at www.rollerblade.com.
Live Science newsletter
Stay up to date on the latest science news by signing up for our Essentials newsletter.
By Kiley Price
By Ben Turner
By Tom Metcalfe